Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sadness

On Monday of this week, I received a call about my dad's brother, Morris. It seems that he became very ill and called 911. They rushed him to the ER and then transferred him to St. Joseph's Hospital in Savannah, Ga.

I just talked to him a couple of weeks ago and he said he was feeling good and he sounded good. However, I think he had been sick for awhile and never told anybody. Anyway, when he arrived at St. Joseph's they performed a heart cath and then rushed him into surgery to perform triple-by-pass.
He came through the surgery fine, but he never regained consciousness and suffered a stroke.

During the next few days he continued to suffer mini strokes and yesterday, they removed him from the ventilator. He passed away at 1:00 this morning.

Morris Russell Easler was born January 8, 1941 to Oliver and Catherine (Wolfe) Easler. He was the 5th of 7 children.... 6 boys and 1 little girl. Uncle Morris, Uncle Larry and Aunt Carol were closer in age to us so, we spent lots of time with them. Saturday morning breakfast at Grandma's and later, Carol and Morris would turn on the radio and dance.

Morris played the piano and sang. He sang in a men's quartet at church and mama played the piano. Aunt Carol also sang solos and when the Easler clan got together, there was good food, lots of laughter and always music.

I use to write to him when he was in Vietnam and when I graduated from high school, he gave me a savings bond that matured to almost 3x the original value, years later when I finally cashed it in. He was the "runt" of the family, he was handsome, funny, a wonderful cook and a clean freak (OCD).
He had a very distinct voice and when he laughed.... he laughed all over.

I love you Uncle Morris and I am going to miss you. Thank you for the sweet and precious memories of my childhood. I am so blessed to have had you in my life. Before I close, do me a big favor....
I know when you entered the gates of Heaven, there was a big Easler reunion and they took you to see Jesus. One day we will all be there with you, but please tell my daddy and mama how much I love them and I appreciate every sacrifice they made to provide for us.

This is not goodbye....  this is I love you....this is thank you.... this is I will see you later.

With all of my love....  Amelia Ann

No comments: