Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's Official

Meredith is an eighth grader!! We got up early this morning, had breakfast, dressed, curled her hair (picture day) and called Daddy (he's in Texas) while riding down the rode this rainy morning.

When we arrived at 8:03am, the parking lot was already filled. We stood in the correct lines, filled out the necessary papers, received Meredith's schedule, paid our fees and then went to have her picture made and meet her teachers.

Along the way I noticed something. The boys from last year are much taller and have really filled out. Some of the girls from last year are a little taller, their hair is longer and they have filled out some also.

What really caught my attention is that some of the girls have started trying to wear make-up. I say "trying to wear" because a few of them had on so much mascara they could hardly open their eyes. Their lashes were actually sticking together!! I promise you, one girl had false eyelashes on and so much eye shadow, that she looked like a peacock.

Meredith informed me that these young ladies were the "popular" girls. I told her they weren't popular,they looked like a circus act. I explained to her that people weren't looking at them because they're pretty but, because they're funny looking.

She said I was mean and maybe I was, a little, well.., maybe a lot. I told her that there is nothing wrong with wearing a little make-up, if it's applied properly. I told her what is most important is who you are on the inside. It's fine to make yourself attractive but it's not okay to make yourself someone you're not.

I'm not so sure what kind of journey this year will take us on but, this I know. Meredith Wall will be proud of who she is and will stand firm in her beliefs. She'll be able to meet the world with her head held high and her eyes wide open.

On the other hand, the peacock will be so busy trying to pry her clumped up eye lashes open that the world may just pass her by. Popular my foot!! Wringling Brothers should be so lucky.

No comments: