Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ho-Ho-Ho and a very Floppy Droopy Christmas to you!

I don't think I'm politically correct with the ho-ho-ho and I may even be arrested. I came to the conclusion this morning that it's not Santa's ho-ho-ho's that are frightening the children but, the hundreds of floppy, droopy Christmas decorations lying in people's yards! It looks like someone went on a killing spree and took out Rudolph and Frosty and Santa Clause. What is up with this? Another thing I don't understand are the Christmas characters in a bubble! What happened to good old Christmas trees and wreaths on the doors and ribbons? Every year there is a yard right up the road here that looks like the owner "tied one on" decided to decorate his yard and just went out there and threw the lights in the bushes and the trees! There is no rhyme or reason, just lights scattered everywhere. A couple of years ago, Meredith and I started noticing the palm trees.
I know that our Lord was born in a desert place but palm trees remind me of hammocks and drinks with little umbrellas. I so enjoy the little carolers, the nativity scenes and Santa and his sleigh but, if thery are made of plastic and they are 35 years old, if they have been stuffed in the attic all year long or even left out on the lawn all year long for the summer sun to fade them out, THEY ARE TACKY AND UGLY!! THROW THEM AWAY! What's up with the wire reindeer that stand still, one leg poised in the air and they are lighted? No self respecting reindeer would be caught still and definately would not not be lit because that's how they wind up over somebody's mantle! I hate blue Christmas lights. Blue is just not a Christmas color. Santa's sleigh is big and red and he has 8, count them, Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, reindeer. So why have I seen a little white sleigh, with no Santa in sight, and 2 reindeer? One has his head down, probably in shame, and the other yet again has a leg poised for flight only most of the time he's lying on the ground because he's off balance! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Christmas purist. My tree has blinking white lights.
No, there is no bar or a dancing pole in the middle of the room, I just like the blinking white lights. I don't do bows on gifts. I have a very hard time tying my shoes so I can't tie a beautiful ribbon and the bows with the sticky backs fall off. Mostly because they have been in a bag in the back of the closet since last year and they are all smushed. (Is that a word?) I like the Christmas bags with the tags and the tissue paper. Nice and neat, no big black trash bag full of Christmas paper that cost you $8.00 a roll (thru a school fund raiser) and you spend all day wrapping just for some excited person to rip in half and throw it on the floor. My tree is electic. There is no theme, just ornaments from over the years. No big old shiny balls (I don't like those thing either), garland (no tinsel) and a beautiful angel with a golden gown at the top. This of course is my opinion and I would love to know how you decorate for Christmas. Maybe you have the inflatable Christmas
Characters, even a Mickey Mouse, although I'm not sure what he has to do with Christmas but, share with me. I promise I won't laugh or make little comments the next time I see you. You know I love you guys. You are out there.., right? Leave me a comment. It's not hard, just follow the directions. Happy decorating!

4 comments:

jkstrib said...

My pet peeve are the tall plastic candles people put on their porch and the blow up things. But, by my house you wouldn't even know it was Christmas...not a Christmas decoration in sight. What a slacker I am!

KJA said...

Well I can say we are no better than the slacker JU-JU. We haven't decided yet where to put the furniture we have to move in our tiny house to put up the tree. At this point I say Bah Humbug!!!! I am not totally scrooged. I have been whistling and humming the carols..

J.E. said...

Shame on you both KJA and JUJU... I cannot believe yall... I am so sad that you dont like those candles on the porch... My grandaddy put them on the porch every year... Megie I love you too, but the angel with a long flowing gown on top just aint my thang either...tune in to my blog soon and Ill have pics of my decorations soon!

George Wright said...

Yup... Jill and I were out this past weekend, and I told her that all the uninflated lawn ornaments made it look like Santa had been mowed down in a North Pole drive-by shooting.