Saturday, April 5, 2008

Back to Normal

Actually, I don't even know what normal is. It's certainly not a word that describes me in any kind of way. Spring Break is over and it's back to the regular schedule.

We had a wonderful time this week. First of all, my Mom is home and doing great! She is actually stronger and healthier than she was before. She doesn't quite remember everything that happened and, I'm sure that's a good thing but, she wants to be a blessing to people. She wants to be able to tell them what God has done in her life. He's given her a second chance and she doesn't want to let it pass her by.

Secondly, Meredith and I traveled with Ronnie this week. We put over 1500 miles on my van. We went to Dacatur Alabama and Cottondale, Alabama. While Ronnie was working, Meredith and I went shopping and site seeing. We also slept and watched movies, played ball and ate. We really had so much fun. On the way back home from Alabama, we stopped by Pell City, Alabama to see a friend of mine that I haven't seen in 25 years. His name is Wendell. For those of you who read my blog, I have mentioned him before. He use to work for my Dad (truck driver) and I was the young kid (15 years old) who would check his trip records and write his checks. We became fast friends but somewhere along the years, we lost touch. After my Dad passed away, I knew that Wendell would want to know. So I tracked him down over the internet a year ago and we've been writing back and forth. Ronnie has heard all about Wendell for the past 17 years but, on Wednesday they finally met. Two of my favorite guys in the world.

On Thursday, Meredith and I traveled to Greensboro and Gastonia, NC with Ronnie. Sometimes, if he's not going to be in the plant for very long, we just stay in the car, if security permits. Other times we shop or ride around. On one of the stops, I had to go potty. Now, I am very picky about where I go and I have found that Waffle House has pretty clean restrooms and they are private. My first choice is a Welcome Center but, we were near a Waffle House. Meredith decided that she was staying in the van to watch her DVD so, I locked her in the van, with the keys (both sets) and my cell. She was sitting right in front of the window so I felt she would be safe. As I reached the door, I heard my van door close and looked around and there she stood, right at my shoulder. I asked her..., "Did you lock the door?" Of course she said.., "Yes." There we were in a strange town and the keys were locked in the van.
I couldn't get in touch with Ronnie because my phone was in the van and so were his keys. Now you know my temper, needless to say I had Meredith in tears and my B/P was at stroke level, honestly. She said that a man in one of the booths was looking at her and it scared her and, I said..., "Well guess what? Everybody in here is looking at us now!" Of course the people in Waffle House were sympathetic to Meredith and thought I was some kind of nut. We called a wrecker service and the guy came out, popped the door open and charged me $40.00. While we were locked out, Ronnie had called, in fact, the phone was ringing when I opened the door. I just told him I had something to take care of and I would see him in a minute. He thought I didn't make it to the bathroom on time and I was in need of clean clothes. Then he thought, she backed in to somebody and she's getting a ticket. I drive forward real well but, the backing up is not so easy for me. Anyway, we picked him up and he could see that Meredith was upset. When she told him what had happened, well, let's just say that his tantrum made me look like a wimp.

Anyway, we calmed down and told Sis that we were sorry that we had lost our temper and she said she was sorry for being silly and a wimp. We kissed and hugged and made up and the rest of the day was great.

All in all, it was a good week except now, Ronnie is sick. He told Meredith it was because he had to stand outside in the cold while the wrecker guy unlocked our van.

I'm glad that summer is just around the corner and we will be travelling some more with Ronnie. We're planning to go back to Alabama to spend a little more time with Wendell. No matter where we go, I will have my keys and my cell with me at all times and Meredith will just have to go to the potty with me.

1 comment:

J.E. said...

Next time take the keys with you :0)